We care about our Remington neighbors and want all community members to live in safe homes. The Home Health and Safety Committee assists with repairs that are necessary to ensure a home is free of serious health or safety hazards.
Examples of home repairs GRIA can make (others may qualify):
- Roof repairs
- Replacement windows
- Replacement doors
- Entrance ramps
- Porch or stair railings
- Brick repair
- Adding grab bars in bathroom areas
- Heating and cooling repairs
This program is funded by the Sate of Maryland’s Department of Housing and Community Development and Seawall Development. We anticipate being able to complete 5-10 projects on homes in Remington with the existing funding, depending on the cost of projects. In 2018, we repaired two roofs, repaired a broken stair railing, and replaced three leaking exterior doors on two homes.
How the program works:
- If you live withing GRIA’s boundaries and have a serious home repair that you cannot afford, reach out to GRIA at 443-620-4742 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or talk with Bill Cunningham or Molly McCullagh.
- A committee member will meet with you in your home to review the repairs and determine if you are eligible.
- If you or a member of your household are over 65 years old, we will refer you to the Housing Upgrades to Benefit Seniors program and work with you and a caseworker to determine which repairs HUBS will take care of.
- If you are under 65, we will begin collecting paperwork and preparing your application. We will need basic documents that show your income and proof of homeownership. Neighbors with household incomes of less than 60% of Area Median Income are eligible. For example, income limits for a three person household would be $49,200/year and $59,050 for a five person household. (See the State of Maryland’s AMI document here).
- Once your application paperwork is complete, the GRIA board and the State of Maryland Historic Trust will review the scope of work and make a determination about whether they will fund the repairs. This review could take up to two months.
- One approved, GRIA-selected contractors will complete the work on your house. The process could be quick or take a few months, depending on the type of repairs to your home.